Emergency Water Shut-Off
Do you have a water leak? Prevent/Reduce water damage by turning off the water. You can turn the water off at several places: 1) the leaking water heater, 2) the leaking plumbing fixture or 3) the main water line to the house. Follow these instructions as appropriate based on the location of your water leak. For your convenience, we have also provided an instructional video to walk you through it.
Emergency Water Shutoff Instructional Video
How To Turn The Water Off At The Leaking Water Heater
- Turn Off the Gas or Electricity to the Water Heater.
- For Gas Water Heaters: Turn the knob on top of the thermostat clockwise to the off position. The thermostat is located near the bottom of the water heater.
- For Electric Water Heaters: Go to your circuit breaker panel, find the breaker for your water heater, and switch it to the off position.
- Twist the handle on the water supply shut off valve clockwise until it stops. This valve is typically located on top of the water heater, on the right side cold line.
- Attach a garden hose to the drain faucet located at the bottom of the water heater.
- Run the other end of the hose to a lower location where hot or rusty water will not cause damage.
- Open the drain faucet on the water heater. Also open a hot water faucet in the house to allow air to enter the water heater as water drains.
How To Turn The Water Off At The Leaking Plumbing Fixtures
- Turn the Water Supply Off at the leaking plumbing fixture by twisting the handle on the water supply shut off valve clockwise until it stops. This valve is typically located on the flex line or feed pipe going into the plumbing fixture. It may be just behind or just below the fixture (i.e. toilets, sinks, washing machine).
- For Leaking Sinks: Turn off the hot and/or cold lines as appropriate.
- For leaking or overflowing toilets: turn off the feed line.
- For leaking washing machines, dishwashers, refrigerators: turn off the feed lines.
How To Turn The Water Off At The Main Water Supply Shut-Off
You have several options when it comes to turning off the main water supply. Choose the option that best suits your circumstance.
- Turn off the main water valve to the house
- Turn off the main water valve in a clockwise direction until the water shuts off. This valve is typically located in front of the house just below the garden hose faucet.
- After shutting the main water supply off, open up an outside faucet to allow the pressure to be relieved and excess water in the system to drain outside.
How To Turn Off The Gas SupplyDo you have a gas leak? The gas company adds a special chemical to the natural gas in order to aid you in detecting leaks. Therefore, if you smell “rotten eggs” you probably have a gas leak. If you are by the fixture that uses gas, ensure the pilot light is lit. If it is lit, you can check the lines for leaks by spraying with a mild soap solution to determine the location of the leak. The area that is leaking will bubble.
You have several options when it comes to turning off the gas supply in order to have the leak fixed. Choose the option that best suits your circumstance.
Turn Off the Gas Supply Valve by turning it clockwise.